In this episode of the career interview series, we’ll be hearing from Joy Williams, a media entrepreneur who was born in Washington, DC and raised in Long Island, New York. Joy is a life-long student whose love of learning new things began in childhood with her parents encouraging her and her siblings to try different activities.
Her career in media began with a role as the stage manager of a play in chorus and wearing multiple hats at her high school radio station. Since then, her career has included positions at MTV, HBO, ESPN, and most recently two of her own companies.
- It’s not what you do. But, rather how much people value what you do. Doing a good job often isn’t enough to receive recognition and opportunities. Getting ahead requires networking and pitching. Network to connect and build relationships with people that can help you along your journey. Pitch to ensure your connections understand what you do and more importantly the value of your knowledge and experience.
- Assess where you are and where you want to go. Is your current position aligned with your career and personal aspirations? Is your company supportive of your goals? If any of those factors are out of alignment, begin creating a plan for getting closer to where you want to be.
- Learn. Constantly and consistently. Push yourself to expand your knowledge and hone your skills. This can be through the formal education process of taking classes or taking on new roles and responsibilities at work. The point is to continue learning and growing in your career.
Learn More About Joy
- Connect with Joy on LinkedIn.
- Read more info about Gospel Fit on the company website gospelfit.com.
- Follow Joy and Gospel Fit on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Paper.li.
- Learn more about Soul Joy Wellness on the website souljoywellness.com.
- Follow Soul Joy Wellness on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Disclosure: Noire Histoir is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for the website to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Noire Histoir will receive commissions for purchases made via any Amazon Affiliate links above.